|Large goiter due to thyroid carcinoma|
A number of these publications deal with clinical, pathologic, diagnostic, or therapeutic aspects of thyroid carcinoma (1-6,10,13,14,17,18). Of these, two papers (1,14) deal specifically with ectopic thyroid tumors arising in the sublingual location, which may indicate that such ectopic tumors are not as uncommon as once thought.
Other publications include a case report of a hypothyroid dog suffering from insulin-resistant diabetes mellitus and acromegaly (8); interestingly, after treatment with L-thyroxine, the insulin resistance and diabetes resolved.
Other papers report on various studies on hypothyroidism in dogs including the effect of age of lipid metabolism (9) to the association between gall bladder mucoceles and hyperlipidemia (12); and from exercise-induced hypercoagulability, von Willebrand factor, and thyroid hormone concentrations in sled dogs (11) to evaluation of serum thyroid hormones in dogs with systemic inflammation or sepsis (16).
Finally, other papers include a case report of a hypothyroid dog with polyneuropathy that resolved following thyroid supplementation (20), to a study of the pharmacokinetics of total T4 after repeated oral administration of L-T4 solution in hypothyroid dogs (21).
- Broome MR, Peterson ME, Walker JR. Clinical features and treatment outcomes of 41 dogs with sublingual ectopic thyroid neoplasia. J Vet Intern Med 2014;28:1560-1568.
- Campos M, Ducatelle R, Kooistra HS, et al. Immunohistochemical expression of potential therapeutic targets in canine thyroid carcinoma. J Vet Intern Med 2014;28:564-570.
- Campos M, Ducatelle R, Rutteman G, et al. Clinical, pathologic, and immunohistochemical prognostic factors in dogs with thyroid carcinoma. J Vet Intern Med 2014;28:1805-1813.
- Campos M, Kool MM, Daminet S, et al. Upregulation of the PI3K/Akt pathway in the tumorigenesis of canine thyroid carcinoma. J Vet Intern Med 2014;28:1814-1823.
- Ciaputa R, Nowak M, Kandefer-Gola M, et al. Morphological and immunohistological characteristics of follicular-compact thyroid carcinoma in dog. Folia Histochem Cytobiol 2014;52:157-161.
- Deitz K, Gilmour L, Wilke V, et al. Computed tomographic appearance of canine thyroid tumours. J Small Anim Pract 2014;55:323-329.
- Higgs P, Costa M, Freke A, et al. Measurement of thyroxine and cortisol in canine and feline blood samples using two immunoassay analysers. J Small Anim Pract 2014;55:153–159.
- Johnstone T, Terzo E, Mooney CT. Hypothyroidism associated with acromegaly and insulin-resistant diabetes mellitus in a Samoyed. Aust Vet J 2014;92:437-442.
- Kawasumi K, Kashiwado N, Okada Y, et al. Age effects on plasma cholesterol and triglyceride profiles and metabolite concentrations in dogs. BMC Vet Res 2014;10:57.
- Kobayashi R, Yamada N, Kitamori T, et al. Follicular thyroid carcinoma characterized by abundant stromal components with chondroid and osseous metaplasia in a dog. J Vet Med Sci 2014;76:1161-1164.
- Krogh AK, Legind P, Kjelgaard-Hansen M, et al. Exercise induced hypercoagulability, increased von Willebrand factor and decreased thyroid hormone concentrations in sled dogs. Acta Vet Scand 2014;56:11.
- Kutsunai M, Kanemoto H, Fukushima K, et al. The association between gall bladder mucoceles and hyperlipidaemia in dogs: A retrospective case control study. Vet J 2014;199:76-79.
- Metivier KS, Deitz K, Xu WW, et al. Gene expression profiling demonstrates differential expression of osteopontin in follicular thyroid carcinomas compared to normal thyroid tissue in dogs. Vet Comp Oncol 2014;12:181-197.
- Milovancev M, Wilson DM, Monnet E, et al. Partial resection of the hyoid apparatus during surgical treatment of ectopic thyroid carcinomas in dogs: 5 cases (2011-2013). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2014;244:1319-1324.
- Muller TR, Assis MM, Doiche DP, et al. Do thyroid ultrasonographic features change according to age in euthyroid dogs? Anat Histol Embryol 2014;43:468-473.
- Pashmakova MB, Bishop MA, Steiner JM, et al. Evaluation of serum thyroid hormones in dogs with systemic inflammatory response syndrome or sepsis. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio) 2014;24:264-271.
- Pessina P, Castillo V, Sartore I, et al. Semiquantitative immunohistochemical marker staining and localization in canine thyroid carcinoma and normal thyroid gland. Vet Comp Oncol 2014.
- Pineyro P, Vieson MD, Ramos-Vara JA, et al. Histopathological and immunohistochemical findings of primary and metastatic medullary thyroid carcinoma in a young dog. J Vet Sci 2014;15:449-453.
- Rasmussen SH, Andersen HH, Kjelgaard-Hansen M. Combined assessment of serum free and total T4 in a general clinical setting seemingly has limited potential in improving diagnostic accuracy of thyroid dysfunction in dogs and cats. Vet Clin Pathol 2014;43:1-3.
- Utsugi S, Saito M, Shelton GD. Resolution of polyneuropathy in a hypothyroid dog following thyroid supplementation. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2014;50:345-349.
- van Dijl IC, Le Traon G, van de Meulengraaf BD, et al. Pharmacokinetics of total thyroxine after repeated oral administration of levothyroxine solution and its clinical efficacy in hypothyroid dogs. J Vet Intern Med 2014;28:1229-1234.