In my eighth compilation of the canine and feline endocrine publications of 2013, I’m moving on to disorders of the feline thyroid gland.
Listed below are 26 papers published in 2013 that deal with a variety of thyroid gland topics of issues of clinical importance in cats.
These range from from studies of the duration of serum T4 suppression in cats treated with methimazole (1) to the results of a long-term follow-up study of cats treated with transdermal methimazole (2); and from case reports of methimazole or carbimazole-induced toxicity in cats (3,6,19) to the results of an online survey to determine owner experiences and opinions on the management of their hyperthyroid cats using oral anti-thyroid medications (5).
Other studies report the variability in iodine concentrations found in commercial cats foods in the USA (7) to investigation of the radioactivity in the excreta of hyperthyroid cats treated with radioiodine (8); from a comparison of computed tomography and scintigraphy for thyroid imaging in hyperthyroid cats (9) to a review of the clinical usefulness of an assay for measurement of circulating B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) concentration in hyperthyroid cats (11); and from an overview of the diagnostic tests useful for confirming feline hyperthyroidism (4,12,13,15,17) and hypothyroidism (14) to a study of the effects of an iodine-restricted diet for management of cats with hyperthyroidism (22); from investigations of the pathophysiological mechanism for altered calcium homeostasis in hyperthyroid cats (24) to studies of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system activity in hyperthyroid cats with and without hypertension (25).
- Boretti FS, Sieber-Ruckstuhl NS, Schafer S, et al. Duration of T4 suppression in hyperthyroid cats treated once and twice daily with transdermal methimazole. J Vet Intern Med 2013;27:377-381.
- Boretti FS, Sieber-Ruckstuhl NS, Schafer S, et al. Transdermal application of methimazole in hyperthyroid cats: a long-term follow-up study. J Feline Med Surg 2013;16:453-459.
- Bowlt K, Cattin I, Stewart J. Carbimazole-associated hypersensitivity vasculitis in a cat. J Small Anim Pract 2013; doi: 10.1111/jsap.12154.
- Bruyette D. Feline hyperthyroidism: Diagnosis and therapeutic modalities. Today's Veterinary Practice 2013;3:25-30.
- Caney SM. An online survey to determine owner experiences and opinions on the management of their hyperthyroid cats using oral anti-thyroid medications. J Feline Med Surg 2013;15:494-502.
- Castro Lopez J, Lloret A, Ravera I, et al. Pyogranulomatous mural folliculitis in a cat treated with methimazole. J Feline Med Surg 2013;16:527-531.
- Edinboro CH, Pearce EN, Pino S, et al. Iodine concentration in commercial cat foods from three regions of the USA, 2008-2009. J Feline Med Surg 2013;15:717-724.
- Lamb V, Gray J, Parkin T, et al. Measurement of the radioactivity in the excreta of cats treated with iodine-131 for hyperthyroidism. Vet Rec 2013;172:45.
- Lautenschlaeger IE, Hartmann A, Sicken J, et al. Comparison between computed tomography and Tc-Pertechnetate scintigraphy characteristics of the thyroid gland in cats with hyperthyroidism. Vet Radiol Ultrasound 2013;54:666-673.
- North DL. Uptake of 131-I in households of thyroid cancer patients. Health Phys 2013;104:434-436.
- Oyama MA, Boswood A, Connolly DJ, et al. Clinical usefulness of an assay for measurement of circulating N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide concentration in dogs and cats with heart disease. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2013;243:71-82.
- Paepe D, Verjans G, Duchateau L, et al. Routine health screening: findings in apparently healthy middle-aged and old cats. J Feline Med Surg 2013;15:8-19.
- Peterson ME. More than just T4: Diagnostic testing for hyperthyroidism in cats. J Feline Med Surg 2013;15:765-777.
- Peterson ME. Feline focus: Diagnostic testing for feline thyroid disease: hypothyroidism. Compend Contin Educ Vet 2013;35:E4.
- Peterson ME. Feline focus: Diagnostic testing for feline thyroid disease: hyperthyroidism. Compend Contin Educ Vet 2013;35:E3.
- Ramoo S, Bradbury L, Anderson G, et al. Sedation of hyperthyroid cats with subcutaneous administration of a combination of alfaxalone and butorphanol. Aust Vet J 2013;91:131-136.
- Rasmussen SH, Andersen HH, Kjelgaard-Hansen M. Combined assessment of serum free and total T4 in a general clinical setting seemingly has limited potential in improving diagnostic accuracy of thyroid dysfunction in dogs and cats (Letter). Vet Clin Pathol 2014;43:1-3.
- Sabatino BR, Rohrbach BW, Armstrong PJ, et al. Amino acid, iodine, selenium, and coat color status among hyperthyroid, Siamese, and age-matched control cats. J Vet Intern Med 2013;27:1049-1055.
- Snead E, Kerr M, Macdonald V. Cutaneous lymphoid hyperplasia mimicking cutaneous lymphoma in a hyperthyroid cat. Can Vet J 2013;54:974-978.
- Sparkes A. Health screening of cats: some timely justification. J Feline Med Surg 2013;15:5.
- Taylor BE, Leibman NF, Luong R, et al. Detection of carcinoma micrometastases in bone marrow of dogs and cats using conventional and cell block cytology. Vet Clin Pathol 2013;42:85-91.
- van der Kooij M, Becvarova I, Meyer HP, et al. Effects of an iodine-restricted food on client-owned cats with hyperthyroidism. J Feline Med Surg 2013;14:491-498.
- Whitehouse-Tedd KM, Cave NJ, Ugarte CE, et al. Isoflavone metabolism in domestic cats (Felis catus): Comparison of plasma metabolites detected after ingestion of two different dietary forms of genistein and daidzein. J Anim Sci 2013;91:1295-1306.
- Williams TL, Elliott J, Berry J, et al. Investigation of the pathophysiological mechanism for altered calcium homeostasis in hyperthyroid cats. J Small Anim Pract 2013;54:367-373.
- Williams TL, Elliott J, Syme HM. Renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system activity in hyperthyroid cats with and without concurrent hypertension. J Vet Intern Med 2013;27:522-529.
- Wongbandue G, Jewgenow K, Chatdarong K. Effects of thyroxin (T4) and activin A on in vitro growth of preantral follicles in domestic cats. Theriogenology 2013;79:824-832.