In my 10th compilation of the canine and feline endocrine publications of 2012, I’m moving on to the theme of feline diabetes mellitus. I covered the canine diabetic publications in a blog post about 2 months ago. Click this link to review my list of of 2012 research papers that pertain to diabetes in dogs.
Listed below are 23 research papers written in 2012 that deal with a variety of topics and issues mainly related to the diagnosis, monitoring, and treatment of diabetes mellitus in cats.
These range from a review of pancreatitis and its relationship to diabetes in cats (1,22) to reports of the insulin resistance associated with acromegaly and Cushing's disease in some cats (5,7,8); from use of portable hand-held meters to measure blood ketones in cats (21,23) to an evaluation of serum concentrations of beta-hydroxybutyric acid as a diagnostic tool (2,20); and from a review of monitoring methods for cats with diabetes (4) to the use of glucagon for management of insulin-induced hypoglycemia (12).
Other studies include an evaluation of methods used to measure IGF-1 levels in diabetic cats (17) to the effects of diet and obesity on feline glucose metabolism and diabetic control (6,10,18,19); and finally, from studies of the use of insulin detemir to induce remission in diabetic cats (13) to a careful evaluation and comparison of a commercially manufactured protamine zinc insulin product (ProZinc) to compounded PZI products (14).
2012 Papers on Feline Diabetes Mellitus:
- Armstrong PJ, Williams DA. Pancreatitis in cats. Top Companion Anim Med 2012;27:140-147.
- Aroch I, Shechter-Polak M, Segev G. A retrospective study of serum beta-hydroxybutyric acid in 215 ill cats: clinical signs, laboratory findings and diagnoses. Vet J 2012;191:240-245.
- Clark MH, Hoenig M, Ferguson DC, et al. Pharmacokinetics of pioglitazone in lean and obese cats. J Vet Pharmacol Ther 2012;35:428-436.
- Cook AK. Monitoring methods for dogs and cats with diabetes mellitus. J Diabetes Sci Technol 2012;6:491-495.
- Cross E, Moreland R, Wallack S. Feline pituitary-dependent hyperadrenocorticism and insulin resistance due to a plurihormonal adenoma. Top Companion Anim Med 2012;27:8-20.
- Farrow H, Rand JS, Morton JM, et al. Postprandial glycemia in cats fed a moderate carbohydrate meal persists for a median of 12 hours -- female cats have higher peak glucose concentrations. J Feline Med Surg 2012.
- Fischetti AJ, Gisselman K, Peterson ME. CT and MRI evaluation of skull bones and soft tissues in six cats with presumed acromegaly versus 12 unaffected cats. Vet Radiol Ultrasound 2012;53:535-539.
- Greco DS. Feline acromegaly. Top Companion Anim Med 2012;27:31-35.
- Haring T, Haase B, Zini E, et al. Overweight and impaired insulin sensitivity present in growing cats. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl) 2012.
- Hoenig M. The cat as a model for human obesity and diabetes. J Diabetes Sci Technol 2012;6:525-533.
- Hoenig M, Pach N, Thomaseth K, et al. Evaluation of long-term glucose homeostasis in lean and obese cats by use of continuous glucose monitoring. Am J Vet Res 2012;73:1100-1106.
- Niessen SJ. Glucagon: are we missing a (life-saving) trick? J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio) 2012;22:523-525.
- Roomp K, Rand J. Evaluation of detemir in diabetic cats managed with a protocol for intensive blood glucose control. J Feline Med Surg 2012;14:566-572.
- Scott-Moncrieff JC, Moore GE, Coe J, et al. Characteristics of commercially manufactured and compounded protamine zinc insulin. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2012;240:600-605.
- Smith JR, Vrono Z, Rapoport GS, et al. A survey of southeastern United States veterinarians' preferences for managing cats with diabetes mellitus. J Feline Med Surg 2012;14:716-722.
- Steiner JM. Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency in the cat. Top Companion Anim Med 2012;27:113-116.
- Tschuor F, Zini E, Schellenberg S, et al. Evaluation of four methods used to measure plasma insulin-like growth factor 1 concentrations in healthy cats and cats with diabetes mellitus or other diseases. Am J Vet Res 2012;73:1925-1931.
- Tvarijonaviciute A, Ceron JJ, Holden SL, et al. Effects of weight loss in obese cats on biochemical analytes related to inflammation and glucose homeostasis. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2012;42:129-141.
- Verbrugghe A, Hesta M, Daminet S, et al. Nutritional modulation of insulin resistance in the true carnivorous cat: a review. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 2012;52:172-182.
- Weingart C, Lotz F, Kohn B. Measurement of beta-hydroxybutyrate in cats with nonketotic diabetes mellitus, diabetic ketosis, and diabetic ketoacidosis. J Vet Diagn Invest 2012;24:295-300.
- Weingart C, Lotz F, Kohn B. Validation of a portable hand-held whole-blood ketone meter for use in cats. Vet Clin Pathol 2012;41:114-118.
- Xenoulis PG, Steiner JM. Canine and feline pancreatic lipase immunoreactivity. Vet Clin Pathol 2012;41:312-324.
- Zeugswetter FK, Rebuzzi L. Point-of-care beta-hydroxybutyrate measurement for the diagnosis of feline diabetic ketoacidaemia. J Small Anim Pract 2012;53:328-331.