In my fourth compilation of the canine and feline endocrine publications of 2010, I’m moving on to disorders of the canine thyroid gland.
Listed below are 17 research papers written in 2010 that deal with a variety of thyroid gland topics and issues of clinical importance.
These range from the immune-mediated secondary hypothyroidism (1) to investigations of the CNS and peripheral nervous system in canine hypothyroidism (10,13); from iatrogenic hyperthyroidism (6) to thyroid cancer (5,12,17); from diagnostic tests for hypothyroidism (8,11,14,15) to investigations of effect of recombinant human TSH on the uptake of radioactive iodine by the thyroid gland (3,4); and from studies of the effect of topical glucocorticoids on serum thyroid concentrations (7) to studies of the genetics of hypothyroidism (16).
- Adissu HA, Hamel-Jolette A, Foster RA. Lymphocytic adenohypophysitis and adrenalitis in a dog with adrenal and thyroid atrophy. Veterinary Pathology 2010;47:1082-1085.
- Ajitkumar G, Sreekumaran T, Praseeda R, et al. Comparative efficacy of bromocriptine, cabergoline and thyroxine in inducing oestrus in bitches. Veterinary Research Communications 2010;34:65-69.
- Campos M, Peremans K, Duchateau L, et al. Effect of recombinant human TSH on the uptake of radioactive iodine (123-I) by the thyroid gland in healthy beagles. Domestic Animal Endocrinology 2010;39:215-221
- Campos M, Saunders JH, Duchateau L, et al. Short-term effect of recombinant human thyroid-stimulating hormone on thyroid volume and echogenicity in healthy beagles. Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound 2010;51:331-334.
- Di Palma S, Lombard C, Kappeler A, et al. Intracardiac ectopic thyroid adenoma in a dog. The Veterinary Record 2010;167:709-710.
- Fine DM, Tobias AH, Bonagura JD. Cardiovascular manifestations of iatrogenic hyperthyroidism in two dogs. Journal of Veterinary Cardiology 2010;12:141-146.
- Gottschalk J, Einspanier A, Ungemach FR, et al. Influence of topical dexamethasone applications on insulin, glucose, thyroid hormone and cortisol levels in dogs. Research in Veterinary Science 2010.
- Liles SR, Linder KE, Cain B, et al. Ultrasonography of histologically normal parathyroid glands and thyroid lobules in normocalcemic dogs. Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound 2010;51:447-452.
- Mazaki-Tovi M, Feuermann Y, Segev G, et al. Increased serum leptin and insulin concentrations in canine hypothyroidism. Veterinary Journal 2010;183:109-114.
- Pancotto T, Rossmeisl JH, Jr., Panciera DL, et al. Blood-brain-barrier disruption in chronic canine hypothyroidism. Veterinary Clinical Pathology 2010;39:485-493.
- Piechotta M, Arndt M, Hoppen HO. Autoantibodies against thyroid hormones and their influence on thyroxine determination with chemiluminescence immunoassay in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Science 2010;11:191-196.
- Rebhun RB, Thamm DH. Multiple distinct malignancies in dogs: 53 cases. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association 2010;46:20-30.
- Rossmeisl JH, Jr. Resistance of the peripheral nervous system to the effects of chronic canine hypothyroidism. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2010;24:875-881.
- Shiel RE, Sist M, Nachreiner RF, et al. Assessment of criteria used by veterinary practitioners to diagnose hypothyroidism in sighthounds and investigation of serum thyroid hormone concentrations in healthy Salukis. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2010;236:302-308.
- Wasser SK, Azkarate JC, Booth RK, et al. Non-invasive measurement of thyroid hormone in feces of a diverse array of avian and mammalian species. General and Comparative Endocrinology 2010;168:1-7.
- Wilbe M, Sundberg K, Hansen IR, et al. Increased genetic risk or protection for canine autoimmune lymphocytic thyroiditis in Giant Schnauzers depends on DLA class II genotype. Tissue Antigens 2010;75:712-719.
- Wucherer KL, Wilke V. Thyroid cancer in dogs: an update based on 638 cases (1995-2005). Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association 2010;46:249-254.