Of all of these publications, one of the most common and clinically useful topics involves the use of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonists for management of a variety of disorders. These include the use of GnRH agonist for treatment of queens in estrus and after estrus (3), for reproductive control in queens (4) and tom cats (5), and in dogs affected by benign prostatic hyperplasia (12).
On my next blog post, I will review the mechanism of action for the GnRH agonists, along with their many potential uses and dosage forms.
- Adams GP, Ratto MH. Ovulation-inducing factor in seminal plasma: a review. Anim Reprod Sci 2013;136:148-156.
- Faya M, Carranza A, Miotti R, et al. Fecal estradiol-17beta and testosterone in prepubertal domestic cats. Theriogenology 2013;80:584-586.
- Goericke-Pesch S, Georgiev P, Atanasov A, et al. Treatment of queens in estrus and after estrus with a GnRH-agonist implant containing 4.7 mg deslorelin; hormonal response, duration of efficacy, and reversibility. Theriogenology 2013;79:640-646.
- Goericke-Pesch S, Georgiev P, Atanasov A, et al. Treatment with Suprelorin in a pregnant cat. J Feline Med Surg 2013;15:357-360.
- Goericke-Pesch S, Georgiev P, Fasulkov I, et al. Basal testosterone concentrations after the application of a slow-release GnRH agonist implant are associated with a loss of response to buserelin, a short-term GnRH agonist, in the tom cat. Theriogenology 2013;80:65-69.
- Greenberg M, Lawler D, Zawistowski S, et al. Low-dose megestrol acetate revisited: a viable adjunct to surgical sterilization in free roaming cats? Vet J 2013;196:304-308.
- Leroy C, Conchou F, Layssol-Lamour C, et al. Normal canine prostate gland: repeatability, reproducibility, observer-dependent variability of ultrasonographic measurements of the prostate in healthy intact beagles. Anat Histol Embryol 2013;42:355-361.
- Luu VV, Hanatate K, Tanihara F, et al. The effect of relaxin supplementation of in vitro maturation medium on the development of cat oocytes obtained from ovaries stored at 4 degrees C. Reprod Biol 2013;13:122-126.
- Marino G, Zanghi A. Activins and inhibins: expression and role in normal and pathological canine reproductive organs: a review. Anat Histol Embryol 2013;42:1-8.
- Mattoso CR, Takahira RK, Beier SL, et al. Evaluation of von Willebrand factor during pregnancy, lactation and oestrous cycle in bitches affected and unaffected by von Willebrand disease. Reprod Domest Anim 2013;48:416-422.
- Nishida CR, Everett S, Ortiz de Montellano PR. Specificity determinants of CYP1B1 estradiol hydroxylation. Mol Pharmacol 2013;84:451-458.
- Polisca A, Orlandi R, Troisi A, et al. Clinical efficacy of the GnRH agonist (deslorelin) in dogs affected by benign prostatic hyperplasia and evaluation of prostatic blood flow by Doppler ultrasound. Reprod Domest Anim 2013;48:673-680.
- Poppl AG, Mottin TS, Gonzalez FH. Diabetes mellitus remission after resolution of inflammatory and progesterone-related conditions in bitches. Res Vet Sci 2013;94:471-473.
- Rota A, Tursi M, Zabarino S, et al. Monophasic teratoma of the ovarian remnant in a bitch. Reprod Domest Anim 2013;48:e26-e28.
- Serafim MK, Silva GM, Duarte AB, et al. High insulin concentrations promote the in vitro growth and viability of canine preantral follicles. Reprod Fertil Dev 2013;25:927-934.
- Sozmen M, Kabak YB, Gulbahar MY, et al. Immunohistochemical characterization of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors in canine normal testis and testicular tumours. J Comp Pathol 2013;149:10-18.
- Spankowsky S, Heuwieser W, Arlt SP. Does oral administration of the amino acid tyrosine affect oestradiol-17beta concentration and sexual behaviour in the bitch? Vet Rec 2013;172:212.
- Trisolini C, Albrizio M, Roscino MT, et al. Leptin and queen ovary: new insights about ovulation. Res Vet Sci 2013;94:707-710.
- Tvarijonaviciute A, Carrillo-Sanchez JD, Ceron JJ. Effect of estradiol and progesterone on metabolic biomarkers in healthy bitches. Reprod Domest Anim 2013;48:520-524.
- Wongbandue G, Jewgenow K, Chatdarong K. Effects of thyroxin (T4) and activin A on in vitro growth of preantral follicles in domestic cats. Theriogenology 2013;79:824-832.