In my ninth compilation of the canine and feline endocrine publications of 2013, I’m moving on to disorders of the feline endocrine pancreas. I covered the canine diabetic publications in a blog post last spring. Click this link to review my list of 2013 research papers that pertain to diabetes in dogs.
Listed below are 29 papers published in 2013 that deal with a variety of diabetic topics of clinical importance for diabetic cats.
These topics range from a study of survival time and prognostic factors in cats with newly diagnosed diabetes (2) to studies involving pathogenesis or risk factors for development of diabetes (6,15,20,21,24); from the relationship between diabetes and kidney disease and pancreatits (1,3) to a review of what we know about diabetic remission (10); and, from reviews of insulin treatment of diabetic cats (4,16,26) to the use of oral hypoglycemia agent or incretin hormonal therapy in cats (22,25).
Other studies range from investigations of diet management of obese and diabetic cats (5,7,17,29) to studies of insulin antibodies in cats (28); from reviews of secondary diabetes, including acromegaly and hyperadrenocorticism (18,19) to ketoacidosis (16,23); and finally, from the use of routine home glucose monitoring (9) to continuous glucose monitoring in cats (11,27).
- Bloom CA, Rand JS. Diabetes and the kidney in human and veterinary medicine. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2013;43:351-365.
- Callegari C, Mercuriali E, Hafner M, et al. Survival time and prognostic factors in cats with newly diagnosed diabetes mellitus: 114 cases (2000-2009). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2013;243:91-95.
- Caney SM. Pancreatitis and diabetes in cats. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2013;43:303-317.
- Caney SM. Management of cats on Lente insulin: tips and traps. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2013;43:267-282.
- Coradini M, Rand JS, Morton JM, et al. Fat mass, and not diet, has a large effect on postprandial leptin but not on adiponectin concentrations in cats. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2013;45:79-88.
- Dirtu AC, Niessen SJ, Jorens PG, et al. Organohalogenated contaminants in domestic cats' plasma in relation to spontaneous acromegaly and type 2 diabetes mellitus: A clue for endocrine disruption in humans? Environ Int 2013;57-58:60-67.
- Farrow HA, Rand JS, Morton JM, et al. Effect of dietary carbohydrate, fat, and protein on postprandial glycemia and energy intake in cats. J Vet Intern Med 2013;27:1121-1135.
- Fleischhacker SN, Bauersachs S, Wehner A, et al. Differential expression of circulating microRNAs in diabetic and healthy lean cats. Vet J 2013;197:688-693.
- Ford SL, Lynch H. Practical use of home blood glucose monitoring in feline diabetics. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2013;43:283-301.
- Gottlieb S, Rand JS. Remission in cats: including predictors and risk factors. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2013;43:245-249.
- Hafner M, Lutz TA, Reusch CE, et al. Evaluation of sensor sites for continuous glucose monitoring in cats with diabetes mellitus. J Feline Med Surg 2013;5:117-123.
- Hoenig M, Pach N, Thomaseth K, et al. Cats differ from other species in their cytokine and antioxidant enzyme response when developing obesity. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2013;21:E407-414.
- Hoenig M, Traas AM, Schaeffer DJ. Evaluation of routine hematology profile results and fructosamine, thyroxine, insulin, and proinsulin concentrations in lean, overweight, obese, and diabetic cats. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2013;243:1302-1309.
- Leal RO, Gil S, Brito MT, et al. The use of oral recombinant feline interferon omega in two cats with type II diabetes mellitus and concurrent feline chronic gingivostomatitis syndrome. Ir Vet J 2013;66:19.
- Link KR, Allio I, Rand JS, et al. The effect of experimentally induced chronic hyperglycaemia on serum and pancreatic insulin, pancreatic islet IGF-I and plasma and urinary ketones in the domestic cat (Felis felis). Gen Comp Endocrinol 2013;188:269-281.
- Marshall RD, Rand JS, Gunew MN, et al. Intramuscular glargine with or without concurrent subcutaneous administration for treatment of feline diabetic ketoacidosis. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio) 2013;23:286-290.
- Mimura K, Mori A, Lee P, et al. Impact of commercially available diabetic prescription diets on short-term postprandial serum glucose, insulin, triglyceride and free fatty acid concentrations of obese cats. J Vet Med Sci 2013;75:929-937.
- Niessen SJ. Update on feline acromegaly. In Practice 2013;35:2-6.
- Niessen SJ, Church DB, Forcada Y. Hypersomatotropism, acromegaly, and hyperadrenocorticism and feline diabetes mellitus. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2013;43:319-350.
- O'Leary CA, Duffy DL, Gething MA, et al. Investigation of diabetes mellitus in Burmese cats as an inherited trait: a preliminary study. N Z Vet J 2013;61:354-358.
- Osto M, Zini E, Reusch CE, et al. Diabetes from humans to cats. Gen Comp Endocrinol 2013;182:48-53.
- Palm CA, Feldman EC. Oral hypoglycemics in cats with diabetes mellitus. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2013;43:407-415.
- Rand JS. Diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperosmolar hyperglycemic state in cats. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2013;43:367-379.
- Rand JS. Pathogenesis of feline diabetes. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2013;43:221-231.
- Reusch CE, Padrutt I. New incretin hormonal therapies in humans relevant to diabetic cats. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2013;43:417-433.
- Roomp K, Rand JS. Management of diabetic cats with long-acting insulin. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2013;43:251-266.
- Surman S, Fleeman L. Continuous glucose monitoring in small animals. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2013;43:381-406.
- Takashima S, Nishii N, Hachisu T, et al. Natural anti-insulin autoantibodies in cats: enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the determination of plasma anti-insulin IgG and its concentrations in domestic cats. Res Vet Sci 2013;95:886-890.
- Zoran DL, Rand JS. The role of diet in the prevention and management of feline diabetes. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2013;43:233-243.