|Fertility axis. GnRH, LH and FSH |
stimulate secretion of testosterone,
progesterone, estrogen, and inhibin.
Controlled via negative feedback effect
on hypothalamus and pituitary gland.
Listed below are 23 research papers written in 2012 that deal with a variety of issues of clinical importance in reproductive endocrinology in dogs and cats.
These range from the changes in the pituitary-gonadal axis in dogs with disorders of sexual development (1) to the effects of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) in dogs and cats (3,7,18,19); from studies on the ovarian remnant syndrome (4,10,14,18, 22) to a review of the common lesions of the male reproductive tract (5); and from studies of the adrenal sex steroids (6,13) associated with atypical hyperadrenocortisim to studies of the progesterone and prolactin receptors in the mammary gland of cats and dogs (9,12).
Other studies include a review of the reproductive causes of hypocalcemia in dogs and cats (2) to the reproductive effects of hypothyroidism (15); and finally, from the effects of age and cryptorchidism on plasma levels of insulin-like peptide and testosterone in male dogs (16) to studies investigating the interaction of circulating reproductive hormones on the canine prostate gland (17,23).
- Buijtels JJ, de Gier J, Kooistra HS, et al. Disorders of sexual development and associated changes in the pituitary-gonadal axis in dogs. Theriogenology 2012;78:1618-1626.
- Davidson AP. Reproductive causes of hypocalcemia. Top Companion Anim Med 2012;27:165-166.
- de Gier J, Buijtels JJ, Albers-Wolthers CH, et al. Effects of gonadotropin-releasing hormone administration on the pituitary-gonadal axis in male and female dogs before and after gonadectomy. Theriogenology 2012;77:967-978.
- Demirel MA, Acar DB. Ovarian remnant syndrome and uterine stump pyometra in three queens. J Feline Med Surg 2012;14:913-918.
- Foster RA. Common lesions in the male reproductive tract of cats and dogs. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2012;42:527-545, vii.
- Ginel PJ, Sileo MT, Blanco B, et al. Evaluation of serum concentrations of cortisol and sex hormones of adrenal gland origin after stimulation with two synthetic ACTH preparations in clinically normal dogs. Am J Vet Res 2012;73:237-241.
- Gobello C. Effects of GnRH antagonists vs agonists in domestic carnivores, a review. Reprod Domest Anim 2012;47 Suppl 6:373-376.
- Gomes Poppl A, Costa Valle S, Hilario Diaz Gonzalez F, et al. Estrus cycle effect on muscle tyrosine kinase activity in bitches. Vet Res Commun 2012;36:81-84.
- Gracanin A, de Gier J, Zegers K, et al. Progesterone receptor isoforms in the mammary gland of cats and dogs. Reprod Domest Anim 2012;47 Suppl 6:313-317.
- Gunzel-Apel AR, Buschhaus J, Urhausen C, et al. Clinical signs, diagnostic approach and therapy for the so-called ovarian remnant syndrome in the bitch. Tierarztl Prax Ausg K Kleintiere Heimtiere 2012;40:35-42.
- Kim H, Choi H, Choi J. A giant parovarian cyst in a dog with a granulosa cell tumor. J Vet Med Sci 2012;74:385-389.
- Michel E, Feldmann SK, Kowalewski MP, et al. Expression of prolactin receptors in normal canine mammary tissue, canine mammary adenomas and mammary adenocarcinomas. BMC Vet Res 2012;8:72.
- Monroe WE, Panciera DL, Zimmerman KL. Concentrations of noncortisol adrenal steroids in response to ACTH in dogs with adrenal-dependent hyperadrenocorticism, pituitary-dependent hyperadrenocorticism, and nonadrenal illness. J Vet Intern Med 2012;26:945-952.
- Oliveira KS, Silva MAM, Brun MV, et al. Ovarian remnant syndrome in small animals. Semina: Ciências Agrárias, Londrina 2012;33:363-380.
- Panciera DL, Purswell BJ, Kolster KA, et al. Reproductive effects of prolonged experimentally induced hypothyroidism in bitches. J Vet Intern Med 2012;26:326-333.
- Pathirana IN, Yamasaki H, Kawate N, et al. Plasma insulin-like peptide 3 and testosterone concentrations in male dogs: changes with age and effects of cryptorchidism. Theriogenology 2012;77:550-557.
- Ponglowhapan S, Church DB, Khalid M. Expression of luteinizing hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone receptor in the dog prostate. Theriogenology 2012;78:777-783.
- Rohlertz M, Strom Holst B, Axner E. Comparison of the GnRH-stimulation test and a semiquantitative quick test for LH to diagnose presence of ovaries in the female domestic cat. Theriogenology 2012;78:1901-1906.
- Struthers RS. Gonadotropin-releasing hormone targeting for gonadotroph ablation: an approach to non-surgical sterilization. Reprod Domest Anim 2012;47 Suppl 4:233-238.
- Switonski M, Payan-Carreira R, Bartz M, et al. Hypospadias in a male (78,XY; SRY-positive) dog and sex reversal female (78,XX; SRY-negative) dogs: clinical, histological and genetic studies. Sex Dev 2012;6:128-134.
- Tejerizo G, Domenech A, Illera JC, et al. Altered plasma concentrations of sex hormones in cats infected by feline immunodeficiency virus or feline leukemia virus. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2012;42:113-120.
- Urhausen C, Buschhaus J, Wolf K, et al. Identification of ovarian remnant tissue in the bitch after incomplete ovariectomy or ovariohysterectomy. Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Canine and Feline Reproduction, 2012.
- Wolf K, Kayacelebi H, Urhausen C, et al. Testicular steroids, prolactin, relaxin and prostate gland markers in peripheral blood and seminal plasma of normal dogs and dogs with prostatic hyperplasia. Reprod Domest Anim 2012;47 Suppl 6:243-246.