In my eighth compilation of the canine and feline endocrine publications of 2012, I’m moving on to disorders of the feline adrenal gland.
Listed below are 11 research papers written in 2012 that deal with adrenal gland issues of clinical importance in cats.
These range from an investigation of the plasma ACTH and ACTH precursors in diagnosis of cats with pituitary-dependent Cushing's disease (1) to a report of severe hypertension associated with Cushing's disease in a cat (2); and from studies of the effects of hyperthyroidism on adrenal size and adrenal function (3,9) to a case report of a cat with severe insulin resistance associated with a pituitary tumor secreting ACTH, MSH, and growth hormone (4).
Other studies ranged from a report of severe hypoglycemia associated with Addison's disease in a cat (6), to a cat with congenital adrenal hyperplasia (8); and finally, from the use of laparoscopic adrenalectomy for adrenal tumor in cats (10), to a review of primary hyperaldosteronism (Conn's syndrome) in 7 cats (11).
- Benchekroun G, de Fornel-Thibaud P, Dubord M, et al. Plasma ACTH precursors in cats with pituitary-dependent hyperadrenocorticism. J Vet Intern Med 2012;26:575-581.
- Brown AL, Beatty JA, Lindsay SA, et al. Severe systemic hypertension in a cat with pituitary-dependent hyperadrenocorticism. J Small Anim Pract 2012;53:132-135.
- Combes A, Vandermeulen E, Duchateau L, et al. Ultrasonographic measurements of adrenal glands in cats with hyperthyroidism. Vet Radiol Ultrasound 2012;53:210-216.
- Cross E, Moreland R, Wallack S. Feline pituitary-dependent hyperadrenocorticism and insulin resistance due to a plurihormonal adenoma. Top Companion Anim Med 2012;27:8-20.
- Fanson KV, Wielebnowski NC, Shenk TM, et al. Comparative patterns of adrenal activity in captive and wild Canada lynx (Lynx canadensis). J Comp Physiol B 2012;182:157-165.
- Kasabalis D, Bodina E, Saridomichelakis MN. Severe hypoglycemia in a cat with primary hypoadrenocorticism. J Feline Med Surg 2012;14:755-758.
- O'Neill D, Hendricks A, Summers J, et al. Primary care veterinary usage of systemic glucocorticoids in cats and dogs in three UK practices. J Small Anim Pract 2012;53:217-222.
- Owens SL, Downey ME, Pressler BM, et al. Congenital adrenal hyperplasia associated with mutation in an 11beta-hydroxylase-like gene in a cat. J Vet Intern Med 2012;26:1221-1226.
- Ramspott S, Hartmann K, Sauter-Louis C, et al. Adrenal function in cats with hyperthyroidism. J Feline Med Surg 2012;14:262-266.
- Smith RR, Mayhew PD, Berent AC. Laparoscopic adrenalectomy for management of a functional adrenal tumor in a cat. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2012;241:368-372.
- Willi B, Kook PH, Quante S, et al. Primary hyperaldosteronism in cats. Schweizer Archiv fur Tierheilkunde 2012;154:529-537.