In my third compilation of the canine and feline endocrine publications of 2012, I’m moving on to disorders of the parathyroid gland, including the clinical problems of hypercalcemia and hypocalcemia.
Listed below are 22 research papers written in 2012 that deal with a variety of topics and issues related to calcium, parathyroid or vitamin D metabolism.
These range from iatrogenic hypoparathyroidism following parathyroid or thyroid surgery (1,20,21) to dietary hypocalcemia in growing dogs (2,14); from paraneoplastic hypercalcemia (3) to puerperal tetany (eclampsia) and hypocalcemia associated with whelping (6); and from dietary and animal-related factors associated with urinary calcium and calcium oxalate stones (7,8) to circulating PTH concentrations in cats with secondary hyperparathyroidism due to renal disease (9).
Other papers discuss the use of intraoperative PTH measurements during parathyroidectomy to help predict cure in dogs with primary hyperparathyroidism (10) to characterization of a mutation that causes vitamin D-dependent rickets in cats (11); from a study of hypovitaminosis D in dogs with endotoxemia (12) to the effect of prednisolone therapy on calcium and vitamin D metabolism in dogs (16,17); from studies of the outcome of dogs with thyroid or parathyroid carcinoma treated with surgical excision (20,21) to an evaluation of calcium and phosphate homeostasis in hyperthyroid cats with chronic kidney disease.
- Arbaugh M, Smeak D, Monnet E. Evaluation of preoperative serum concentrations of ionized calcium and parathyroid hormone as predictors of hypocalcemia following parathyroidectomy in dogs with primary hyperparathyroidism: 17 cases (2001-2009). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2012;241:233-236.
- Becker N, Kienzle E, Dobenecker B. Calcium deficiency: a problem in growing and adult dogs: two case reports. Tierarztl Prax Ausg K Kleintiere Heimtiere 2012;40:135-139.
- Bergman PJ. Paraneoplastic hypercalcemia. Top Companion Anim Med 2012;27:156-158.
- Brockley LK, Heading KL, Jardine JE, et al. Polyostotic lymphoma with multiple pathological fractures in a six-month-old cat. J Feline Med Surg 2012;14:285-291.
- Corbee RJ, Tryfonidou MA, Meij BP, et al. Vitamin D status before and after hypophysectomy in dogs with pituitary-dependent hypercortisolism. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2012;42:43-49.
- Davidson AP. Reproductive causes of hypocalcemia. Top Companion Anim Med 2012;27:165-166.
- Dijcker JC, Hagen-Plantinga EA, Everts H, et al. Dietary and animal-related factors associated with the rate of urinary oxalate and calcium excretion in dogs and cats. Vet Rec 2012;171:46.
- Dijcker JC, Kummeling A, Hagen-Plantinga EA, et al. Urinary oxalate and calcium excretion by dogs and cats diagnosed with calcium oxalate urolithiasis. Vet Rec 2012;171:646.
- Finch NC, Syme HM, Elliott J. Parathyroid hormone concentration in geriatric cats with various degrees of renal function. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2012;241:1326-1335.
- Graham KJ, Wilkinson M, Culvenor J, et al. Intraoperative parathyroid hormone concentration to confirm removal of hypersecretory parathyroid tissue and time to postoperative normocalcaemia in nine dogs with primary hyperparathyroidism. Aust Vet J 2012;90:203-209.
- Grahn RA, Ellis MR, Grahn JC, et al. A novel CYP27B1 mutation causes a feline vitamin D-dependent rickets type IA. J Feline Med Surg 2012;14:587-590.
- Holowaychuk MK, Birkenheuer AJ, Li J, et al. Hypocalcemia and hypovitaminosis D in dogs with induced endotoxemia. J Vet Intern Med 2012;26:244-251.
- Hong HH, Chou TA, Yang JC, et al. The potential effects of cholecalciferol on bone regeneration in dogs. Clin Oral Implants Res 2012;23:1187-1192.
- Hutchinson D, Freeman LM, McCarthy R, et al. Seizures and severe nutrient deficiencies in a puppy fed a homemade diet. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2012;241:477-483.
- Kovalik M, Mellanby RJ, Evans H, et al. Ciclosporin therapy is associated with minimal changes in calcium metabolism in dogs with atopic dermatitis. Vet Dermatol 2012;23:481-491.
- Kovalik M, Thoday KL, Berry J, et al. Prednisolone therapy for atopic dermatitis is less effective in dogs with lower pretreatment serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations. Vet Dermatol 2012;23:125-130, e127-128.
- Kovalik M, Thoday KL, Evans H, et al. Short-term prednisolone therapy has minimal impact on calcium metabolism in dogs with atopic dermatitis. Vet J 2012;193:439-442.
- Nunamaker EA, Sherman JG. Oral administration of lanthanum dioxycarbonate does not alter bone morphology of normal cats. J Vet Pharmacol Ther 2012;35:193-197.
- Pineda C, Aguilera-Tejero E, Raya AI, et al. Feline parathyroid hormone: validation of hormonal assays and dynamics of secretion. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2012;42:256-264.
- Sawyer ES, Northrup NC, Schmiedt CW, et al. Outcome of 19 dogs with parathyroid carcinoma after surgical excision. Vet Comp Oncol 2012;10:57-64.
- Tuohy JL, Worley DR, Withrow SJ. Outcome following simultaneous bilateral thyroid lobectomy for treatment of thyroid gland carcinoma in dogs: 15 cases (1994-2010). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2012;241:95-103.
- Williams TL, Elliott J, Syme HM. Calcium and phosphate homeostasis in hyperthyroid cats - associations with development of azotaemia and survival time. J Small Anim Pract 2012;53:561-571.