In my second compilation of the canine and feline endocrine publications of 2012, I’m moving on to the theme of canine diabetes mellitus.
Listed below are 31 research papers written in 2012 that deal with a variety of topics and issues related to the diagnosis, monitoring, and treatment of diabetes mellitus in dogs. I've already reviewed a few of these papers and, if so, I've included a link to that paper's review.
These range from the studies of the alternative sampling sites for home glucose testing (1) to a review of monitoring methods for dogs with diabetes (5); from studies of the use of long-acting insulin preparations (i.e., PZI, glargine, or detemir) in dogs (4,8,15,17) to evaluation of a quality-of-life tool for diabetic dogs (21); and from the investigation of insulin resistance in dogs associated with estrus, glucocorticoid excess, or infection (6,9,10,11,14,16,22,23) to evaluation of "low" carbohydrate diets in the management of dogs with diabetes (7).
Other studies include an evaluation of the sodium-retaining effect of insulin in diabetic dogs (2) to the use of glucagon for management of insulin-induced hypoglycemia (19,31); and finally, from studies of a short-acting insulin analogue for treatment of ketoacidosis in dogs (24) to the investigations on the use of gene therapy as a potential cure for canine diabetes (20).
2012 Papers on Diabetes Mellitus in the Dog:
- Borin-Crivellenti S, Crivellenti LZ, Tinucci-Costa M. The carpal pad as an alternative sampling site for blood glucose testing in dogs. J Small Anim Pract 2012;53:684-686.
- Brands MW, Manhiani MM. Sodium-retaining effect of insulin in diabetes. Am J Physiol Regul, Integr Comp Physiol 2012;303:R1101-1109.
- Clark L, Leece EA, Brearley JC. Diabetes mellitus affects the duration of action of vecuronium in dogs. Vet Anaesth Analg 2012;39:472-479.
- Clark M, Thomaseth K, Heit M, et al. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of protamine zinc recombinant human insulin in healthy dogs. J Vet Pharmacol Ther 2012;35:342-350.
- Cook AK. Monitoring methods for dogs and cats with diabetes mellitus. J Diabetes Sci Technol 2012;6:491-495.
- Declue AE, Nickell J, Chang CH, et al. Upregulation of proinflammatory cytokine production in response to bacterial pathogen-associated molecular patterns in dogs with diabetes mellitus undergoing insulin therapy. J Diabetes Sci Technol 2012;6:496-502.
- Elliott KF, Rand JS, Fleeman LM, et al. A diet lower in digestible carbohydrate results in lower postprandial glucose concentrations compared with a traditional canine diabetes diet and an adult maintenance diet in healthy dogs. Res Vet Sci 2012;93:288-295.
- Fracassi F, Boretti FS, Sieber-Ruckstuhl NS, et al. Use of insulin glargine in dogs with diabetes mellitus. Vet Rec 2012;170:52. Click here to see my review of this paper.
- Fukuta H, Mori A, Urumuhan N, et al. Characterization and comparison of insulin resistance induced by Cushing Syndrome or diestrus against healthy control dogs as determined by euglycemic- hyperinsulinemic glucose clamp profile glucose infusion rate using an artificial pancreas apparatus. J Vet Med Sci 2012;74:1527-1530.
- Gomes Poppl A, Costa Valle S, Hilario Diaz Gonzalez F, et al. Estrus cycle effect on muscle tyrosine kinase activity in bitches. Vet Res Commun 2012;36:81-84.
- Hofer-Inteeworn N, Panciera DL, Monroe WE, et al. Effect of hypothyroidism on insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance in dogs. Am J Vet Res 2012;73:529-538. Click here to see my review of this paper.
- Hugler S. Diabetic alert dogs: A good nose for hypoglycemia. Dtsch Med Wochenschr 2012;137:p25.
- Jeong YW, Lee GS, Kim JJ, et al. Establishment of a canine model of human type 2 diabetes mellitus by overexpressing phosphoenolypyruvate carboxykinase. Int J Mol Med 2012;30:321-329.
- Kovalik M, Thoday KL, Evans H, et al. Prednisolone is associated with an increase in serum insulin but not serum fructosamine concentrations in dogs with atopic dermatitis. Vet J 2012;192:212-216.
- Maggiore AD, Nelson RW, Dennis J, et al. Efficacy of protamine zinc recombinant human insulin for controlling hyperglycemia in dogs with diabetes mellitus. J Vet Intern Med 2012;26:109-115. Click here to see my review of this paper.
- Mared M, Catchpole B, Kampe O, et al. Evaluation of circulating concentrations of glucose homeostasis biomarkers, progesterone, and growth hormone in healthy Elkhounds during anestrus and diestrus. Am J Vet Res 2012;73:242-247.
- Miceli DD, Gallelli MF, Cabrera Blatter MF, et al. Low dose of insulin detemir controls glycaemia, insulinemia and prevents diabetes mellitus progression in the dog with pituitary-dependent hyperadrenocorticism. Res Vet Sci 2012;93:114-120.
- Murai A, Nishii N, Morita T, et al. GH-producing mammary tumors in two dogs with acromegaly. J Vet Med Sci 2012;74:771-774.
- Niessen SJ. Glucagon: are we missing a (life-saving) trick? J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio) 2012;22:523-525.
- Niessen SJ, Fernandez-Fuente M, Mahmoud A, et al. Novel diabetes mellitus treatment: mature canine insulin production by canine striated muscle through gene therapy. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2012;43:16-25.
- Niessen SJ, Powney S, Guitian J, et al. Evaluation of a quality-of-life tool for dogs with diabetes mellitus. J Vet Intern Med 2012;26:953-961.
- O'Neill S, Drobatz K, Satyaraj E, et al. Evaluation of cytokines and hormones in dogs before and after treatment of diabetic ketoacidosis and in uncomplicated diabetes mellitus. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 2012;148:276-283.
- Poppl AG, Mottin TS, Gonzalez FH. Diabetes mellitus remission after resolution of inflammatory and progesterone-related conditions in bitches. Res Vet Sci 2012.
- Sears KW, Drobatz KJ, Hess RS. Use of lispro insulin for treatment of diabetic ketoacidosis in dogs. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio) 2012;22:211-218. Click here to see my review of this paper.
- Tvarijonaviciute A, Ceron JJ, Caldin M. Serum butyrylcholinesterase activity in dogs with diabetes mellitus. Vet J 2012;192:494-497.
- Tvarijonaviciute A, Ceron JJ, Holden SL, et al. Obesity-related metabolic dysfunction in dogs: a comparison with human metabolic syndrome. BMC Vet Res 2012;8:147.
- Verkest KR, Fleeman LM, Morton JM, et al. Association of postprandial serum triglyceride concentration and serum canine pancreatic lipase immunoreactivity in overweight and obese dogs. J Vet Intern Med 2012;26:46-53.
- Verkest KR, Rand JS, Fleeman LM, et al. Spontaneously obese dogs exhibit greater postprandial glucose, triglyceride, and insulin concentrations than lean dogs. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2012;42:103-112.
- Watson P. Chronic pancreatitis in dogs. Top Companion Anim Med 2012;27:133-139.
- Xenoulis PG, Steiner JM. Canine and feline pancreatic lipase immunoreactivity. Vet Clin Pathol 2012;41:312-324.
- Zeugswetter FK, Schornsteiner E, Haimel G, et al. Metabolic and hormonal responses to subcutaneous glucagon in healthy beagles. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio) 2012;22:558-563.