In my 9th compilation of the canine and feline endocrine publications of 2011, I’m moving on to endocrine disorders of the canine and feline gonads and mammary gland.
Listed below are 11 research papers written in 2011 that deal with a variety of issues of clinical importance in reproductive endocrinology in dogs and cats.
These range from the investigation of male pseudohermaphroditism in dogs (1) to a report of persistent Müllerian duct syndrome (2); from tumors of the testes (8,11) to ovarian cysts (9) in dogs; from the effects of neutering on circulating concentrations of acute-phase proteins, adiponectin and IGF-1 in dogs (10) to studies investigating the interaction between IGF-1 and apoptosis-associated proteins on canine mammary gland tumors (7).
Finally, we have two papers on feline reproduction: the first (4) is a review of reproductive problems in both the queen (e.g., ovarian remnant syndrome, mammary fibroadenomatous hyperplasia, pregnancy diagnosis) and the tom (e.g., cryptorchidism, low libido). The other paper describes the use of deslorelin acetate, an injectable gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist, as a new way of achieving temporary suppression of estrus (5).
- Bigliardi E, Parma P, Peressotti P, et al. Clinical, genetic, and pathological features of male pseudohermaphroditism in dog. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2011;9:12.
- Breshears MA, Peters JL. Ambiguous genitalia in a fertile, unilaterally cryptorchid male miniature schnauzer dog. Vet Pathol 2011;48:1038-1040.
- Dolka I, Motyl T, Malicka R, et al. Relationship between receptors for insulin-like growth factor- I, steroid hormones and apoptosis-associated proteins in canine mammary tumors. Pol J Vet Sci 2011;14:245-251.
- Little S. Feline reproduction: problems and clinical challenges. J Feline Med Surg 2011;13:508-515.
- Malik R, Howe P, Hollinshead F. Deslorelin implants - a new choice in feline reproductive medicine. J Feline Med Surg 2011;13:874-875.
- Meler EN, Scott-Moncrieff JC, Peter AT, et al. Cyclic estrous-like behavior in a spayed cat associated with excessive sex-hormone production by an adrenocortical carcinoma. J Feline Med Surg 2011;13:473-478.
- Pathirana IN, Ashida Y, Kawate N, et al. Comparison of testosterone and insulin-like peptide 3 secretions in response to human chorionic gonadotropin in cultured interstitial cells from scrotal and retained testes in dogs. Anim Reprod Sci 2011;124:138-144.
- Saegusa Y, Hayashi H, Taniai E, et al. Spermatocytic seminoma with neuroectodermal differentiation and sertoli cell tumor in a dog. Vet Pathol 2011;48:1024-1028.
- Sontas BH, Milani C, Romagnoli S, et al. A huge ovarian cyst in a hysterectomized bitch. Reprod Domest Anim 2011;46:1107-1111.
- Tvarijonaviciute A, Martinez-Subiela S, Carrillo-Sanchez JD, et al. Effects of orchidectomy in selective biochemical analytes in Beagle dogs. Reprod Domest Anim 2011;46:957-963.
- Vascellari M, Carminato A, Camali G, et al. Malignant mesothelioma of the tunica vaginalis testis in a dog: histological and immunohistochemical characterization. J Vet Diagn Invest 2011;23:135-139.