|Cataract in a diabetic dog|
In my fifth compilation of the canine and feline endocrine publications of 2011, I’m moving on to the theme of canine diabetes mellitus.
Listed below are 26 research papers written in 2011 that deal with a variety of topics and issues related to the diagnosis, monitoring, and treatment of diabetes mellitus in dogs.
These range from the studies of the pathogenesis of diabetic cataracts (1) to use of continuous glucose monitoring systems (2, 11, 25); from a survey of owner experiences in managing diabetic dogs (3) to gestational diabetes (4, 12, 24); from a study on the effect of diabetes on the structural arrangement of the cardiac collagen fibers (5) to the effect of obesity on glucose tolerance (7, 21, 22).
Other studies include evaluation of IGF-1 levels in diabetic dogs (8) to the effect of hematocrit on glucometer results (15); from proinsulin autoantibodies (9) to insulin resistance (21, 22, 26); and finally, from studies of the insulin analogues glargine and detemir in dogs (13, 18) to the causes of secondary diabetes (23).
2011 Papers on Canine Diabetes Mellitus:
- Abrams KL, Stabila PF, Kauper K, et al. Vascular endothelial growth factor in diabetic and nondiabetic canine cataract patients. Vet Ophthalmol 2011;14:93-99.
- Affenzeller N, Thalhammer JG, Willmann M. Home-based subcutaneous continuous glucose monitoring in 10 diabetic dogs. Vet Rec 2011;169:206.
- Aptekmann KP, Schwartz DS. A survey of owner attitudes and experiences in managing diabetic dogs. Vet J 2011;190:122-124.
- Armenise A, Pastorelli G, Palmisano A, et al. Gestational diabetes mellitus with diabetic ketoacidosis in a Yorkshire terrier bitch. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2011;47:285-289.
- Benedicto HG, Bombonato PP, Macchiarelli G, et al. Structural arrangement of the cardiac collagen fibers of healthy and diabetic dogs. Microsc Res Tech 2011;74:1018-1023.
- Blois SL, Dickie E, Kruth SA, et al. Multiple endocrine diseases in dogs: 35 cases (1996-2009). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2011;238:1616-1621.
- Brunetto MA, Sa FC, Nogueira SP, et al. The intravenous glucose tolerance and postprandial glucose tests may present different responses in the evaluation of obese dogs. Br J Nutr 2011;106 Suppl 1:S194-197.
- Ciftci G, Yarim GF. Evaluation of IGF-I levels and serum protein profiles of diabetic cats and dogs. J Vet Sci 2011;12:325-331.
- Davison LJ, Herrtage ME, Catchpole B. Autoantibodies to recombinant canine proinsulin in canine diabetic patients. Res Vet Sci 2011;91:58-63.
- Eiki J, Nagata Y, Futamura M, et al. Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties of the glucokinase activator MK-0941 in rodent models of type 2 diabetes and healthy dogs. Mol Pharmacol 2011;80:1156-1165.
- Fleeman LM. Continuous monitoring of glucose concentration in diabetic dogs. Vet Rec 2011;169:204-205.
- Moore MC, Menon R, Coate KC, et al. Diet-induced impaired glucose tolerance and gestational diabetes in the dog. J Appl Physiol 2011;110:458-467.
- Moore MC, Smith MS, Turney MK, et al. Comparison of insulins detemir and glargine: effects on glucose disposal, hepatic glucose release and the central nervous system. Diabetes Obes Metab 2011;13:832-840.
- Oberg J, Fall T, Lilliehook I. Validation of a species-optimized enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for determination of serum concentrations of insulin in dogs. Vet Clin Pathol 2011;40:66-73.
- Paul AE, Shiel RE, Juvet F, et al. Effect of hematocrit on accuracy of two point-of-care glucometers for use in dogs. Am J Vet Res 2011;72:1204-1208.
- Ramnanan CJ, Edgerton DS, Kraft G, et al. Physiologic action of glucagon on liver glucose metabolism. Diabetes Obes Metab 2011;13 Suppl 1:118-125.
- Ramnanan CJ, Saraswathi V, Smith MS, et al. Brain insulin action augments hepatic glycogen synthesis without suppressing glucose production or gluconeogenesis in dogs. The J Clin Invest 2011;121:3713-3723.
- Sako T, Mori A, Lee P, et al. Time-action profiles of insulin detemir in normal and diabetic dogs. Res Vet Sci 2011;90:396-403.
- Schoeman JP, Kitshoff AM, du Plessis CJ, et al. Serial plasma glucose changes in dogs suffering from severe dog bite wounds. J S Afr Vet Assoc 2011;82:41-46.
- Stojanovic V, Ihle S. Role of beta-hydroxybutyric acid in diabetic ketoacidosis: a review. Can Vet J 2011;52:426-430.
- Verkest KR, Fleeman LM, Morton JM, et al. Compensation for obesity-induced insulin resistance in dogs: assessment of the effects of leptin, adiponectin, and glucagon-like peptide-1 using path analysis. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2011;41:24-34.
- Verkest KR, Fleeman LM, Rand JS, et al. Evaluation of beta-cell sensitivity to glucose and first-phase insulin secretion in obese dogs. Am J Vet Res 2011;72:357-366.
- Verkest KR, Rand JS, Fleeman LM, et al. Distinct adiponectin profiles might contribute to differences in susceptibility to type 2 diabetes in dogs and humans. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2011;41:67-73.
- Wejdmark AK, Bonnett B, Hedhammar A, et al. Lifestyle risk factors for progesterone-related diabetes mellitus in elkhounds - a case-control study. J Small Anim Pract 2011;52:240-245.
- Wiedmeyer CE, DeClue AE. Glucose monitoring in diabetic dogs and cats: adapting new technology for home and hospital care. Clin Lab Med 2011;31:41-50.
- Xenoulis PG, Levinski MD, Suchodolski JS, et al. Association of hypertriglyceridemia with insulin resistance in healthy Miniature Schnauzers. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2011;238:1011-1016.