In my sixth compilation of the canine and feline endocrine publications of 2011, I’m moving on to the theme of feline diabetes mellitus.
Listed below are 12 research papers written in 2011 that deal with a variety of topics and issues related to the diagnosis, monitoring, and treatment of diabetes mellitus in cats.
These range from the studies of the prevalence of proteinuria in diabetic cats (1) to evaluation of IGF-1 levels in diabetic cats (2); from studies of continuous glucose monitoring in cats (3, 11) to a comparison of glucosuria detection by two methods (4); from studies of GI hormones that affect insulin secretion (5,6) to the effects of diet and obesity on feline glucose metabolism (7, 12); and finally, studies of the pathogenesis of diabetic remission in cats (9, 10) to insulin resistance (8).
2011 Papers on Feline Diabetes Mellitus:
- Al-Ghazlat SA, Langston CE, Greco DS, et al. The prevalence of microalbuminuria and proteinuria in cats with diabetes mellitus. Top Companion Anim Med 2011;26:154-157.
- Ciftci G, Yarim GF. Evaluation of IGF-I levels and serum protein profiles of diabetic cats and dogs. J Vet Sci 2011;12:325-331.
- Dietiker-Moretti S, Muller C, Sieber-Ruckstuhl N, et al. Comparison of a continuous glucose monitoring system with a portable blood glucose meter to determine insulin dose in cats with diabetes mellitus. J Vet Intern Med 2011;25:1084-1088.
- Fletcher JM, Behrend EN, Welles EG, et al. Glucose detection and concentration estimation in feline urine samples with the Bayer Multistix and Purina Glucotest. J Feline Med Surg 2011;13:705-711.
- Gilor C, Graves TK, Gilor S, et al. The GLP-1 mimetic exenatide potentiates insulin secretion in healthy cats. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2011;41:42-49.
- Gilor C, Graves TK, Gilor S, et al. The incretin effect in cats: comparison between oral glucose, lipids, and amino acids. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2011;40:205-212.
- Hoenig M, Jordan ET, Glushka J, et al. Effect of macronutrients, age, and obesity on 6- and 24-h postprandial glucose metabolism in cats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2011;301:R1798-1807.
- Hoenig M. Insulin resistance in cats: Not all tissues are equal. Nestle Purina Companion Animal Nutritional Summit: Focus on Obesity and Obesity-Related Diseases. Tucson, Arizona, 2011;38-41.
- Reusch CE, Hafner M, Tschuor F, et al. Diabetes remission in cats: a review. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd 2011;153:495-500.
- Tschuor F, Zini E, Schellenberg S, et al. Remission of diabetes mellitus in cats cannot be predicted by the arginine stimulation test. J Vet Intern Med 2011;25:83-89.
- Wiedmeyer CE, DeClue AE. Glucose monitoring in diabetic dogs and cats: adapting new technology for home and hospital care. Clin Lab Med 2011;31:41-50.
- Zoran DL, Buffington CA. Effects of nutrition choices and lifestyle changes on the well-being of cats, a carnivore that has moved indoors. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2011;239:596-606.