In my third compilation of the canine and feline endocrine publications of 2010, I’m moving on to disorders of the feline thyroid gland.
Listed below are 13 papers published in 2011 that deal with a variety of thyroid gland topics of issues of clinical importance in cats.
These range from from a review of congenital hypothyroidism (1) to an overview of the causes, diagnosis and treatment of feline hypertension (10,12); from studies of the prevalence of hypocobalaminaemia in cats (3) to the metabolic complications associated with thyroidectomy (4); from the investigations of efficacy and safety of iopanoic acid (5) or a novel lipophilic formulation of methimazole (9) for treatment of hyperthyroidism to the evaluation of predictors for the diagnosis of hyperthyroidism (13); and from the use of homeopathic treatment for hyperthyroidism (2) to ectopic lingual thyroid tissue cats (11).
- Bojanic K, Acke E, Jones BR. Congenital hypothyroidism of dogs and cats: a review. N Z Vet J 2011;59:115-122.
- Chapman SF. Homeopathic and integrative treatment for feline hyperthyroidism—four cases (2006-2010). Homeopathy 2011;100:270-274.
- Cook AK, Suchodolski JS, Steiner JM, et al. The prevalence of hypocobalaminaemia in cats with spontaneous hyperthyroidism. J Small Anim Pract 2011;52:101-106.
- de Brito Galvao JF, Chew DJ. Metabolic complications of endocrine surgery in companion animals. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2011;41:847-868.
- Gallagher AE, Panciera DL. Efficacy of iopanoic acid for treatment of spontaneous hyperthyroidism in cats. J Feline Med Surg 2011;13:441-447.
- Gomez NV, Castillo VA, Gisbert MA, et al. Immune-endocrine interactions in treated and untreated cats naturally infected with FIV. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 2011;143:332-337.
- Graves TK. When normal is abnormal: keys to laboratory diagnosis of hidden endocrine disease. Top Companion Anim Med 2011;26:45-51.
- Gunn-Moore DA. Cognitive dysfunction in cats: clinical assessment and management. Top Companion Anim Med 2011;26:17-24.
- Hill KE, Gieseg MA, Kingsbury D, et al. The efficacy and safety of a novel lipophilic formulation of methimazole for the once daily transdermal treatment of cats with hyperthyroidism. J Vet Intern Med 2011;25:1357-1365.
- Jepson RE. Feline systemic hypertension: Classification and pathogenesis. J Feline Med Surg 2011;13:25-34.
- Reed TP, Brisson BA, Schutt LK. Cystic ectopic lingual thyroid tissue in a male cat. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2011;239:981-984.
- Stepien RL. Feline systemic hypertension: Diagnosis and management. J Feline Med Surg 2011;13:35-43.
- Wakeling J, Elliott J, Syme H. Evaluation of predictors for the diagnosis of hyperthyroidism in cats. J Vet Intern Med 2011;25:1057-1065.