In my second compilation of the canine and feline endocrine publications of 2011, I’m moving on to disorders of the canine thyroid gland. Listed below are 11 research papers written in 2011 that deal with a variety of thyroid gland topics and issues of clinical importance.
These range from a series of 35 dogs with multiple endocrine diseases (many were hypothyroid) (1) to a case report of megaesophagus associated with hypothyroidism in a dog (4); from a review of congenital hypothyroidism in both dogs and cat (2) to a great review of canine hypothyroidism (9); from studies of thyroid carcinoma (5,10) to an evaluation of serum IGF-1 determination in dogs with hypothyroidism (7); from diagnostic tests for hypothyroidism (2,6,9) to a report of cervical thymic carcinoma that mimicked thyroid cancer (3); and from hypercalcemia associated with canine hypothyroidism (8) to studies of the effect of anti-inflammatory doses of glucocorticoids on serum thyroid concentrations (11).
- Blois SL, Dickie E, Kruth SA, et al. Multiple endocrine diseases in dogs: 35 cases (1996-2009). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2011;238:1616-1621.
- Bojanic K, Acke E, Jones BR. Congenital hypothyroidism of dogs and cats: a review. N Z Vet J 2011;59:115-122.
- Faisca P, Henriques J, Dias TM, et al. Ectopic cervical thymic carcinoma in a dog. J Small Anim Pract 2011;52:266-270.
- Fracassi F, Tamborini A. Reversible megaoesophagus associated with primary hypothyroidism in a dog. Vet Rec 2011;168:329b.
- Gelberg HB, Valentine BA. Lymphadenopathy associated with a thyroid carcinoma in a dog. Vet Pathol 2011;48:530-534.
- Graves TK. When normal is abnormal: keys to laboratory diagnosis of hidden endocrine disease. Top Companion Anim Med 2011;26:45-51.
- Jaillardon L, Martin L, Nguyen P, et al. Serum insulin-like growth factor type 1 concentrations in healthy dogs and dogs with spontaneous primary hypothyroidism. Vet J 2011;190:e95-99.
- Lobetti RG. Hypercalcaemia in a dog with primary hypothyroidism. J S Afr Vet Assoc 2011;82:242-243.
- Mooney CT. Canine hypothyroidism: a review of aetiology and diagnosis. N Z Vet J 2011;59:105-114.
- Nadeau ME, Kitchell BE. Evaluation of the use of chemotherapy and other prognostic variables for surgically excised canine thyroid carcinoma with and without metastasis. Can Vet J 2011;52:994-998.
- O'Neill SH, Frank LA, Reynolds LM. Effect of an anti-inflammatory dose of prednisone on thyroid hormone monitoring in hypothyroid dogs. Vet Dermatol 2011;22:202-205.