Listed below are 9 research papers written in 2010 that deal with a variety of pituitary gland topics of issues of clinical importance in dogs and cats.
These range from the use of hypophysectomy for treatment of ACTH-secreting or growth hormone-secreting pituitary tumors (1-3) to studies of the imaging characteristics of benign, invasive adenomas and adenocarcinomas of the pituitary gland (5); from an overview of acromegaly in the cat (4) to investigation of serum and tumor levels of GH and IGF-I as prognostic factors in the outcome of canine mammary cancer (6); and from silent corticotroph adenomas (7) to studies of the pathogenesis and new therapies for corticotroph adenomas in dogs (8,9).
- Hara Y, Teshima T, Taoda T, et al. Efficacy of transsphenoidal surgery on endocrinological status and serum chemistry parameters in dogs with Cushing's disease. The Journal of Veterinary Medical Science 2010;72:397-404.
- Ishino H, Hara Y, Teshima T, et al. Hypophysectomy for a dog with coexisting Cushing's disease and diabetes mellitus. The Journal of Veterinary Medical Science 2010;72:343-348.
- Meij BP, Auriemma E, Grinwis G, et al. Successful treatment of acromegaly in a diabetic cat with transsphenoidal hypophysectomy. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery 2010;12:406-410.
- Niessen SJ. Feline acromegaly: an essential differential diagnosis for the difficult diabetic. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery 2010;12:15-23.
- Pollard RE, Reilly CM, Uerling MR, et al. Cross-sectional imaging characteristics of pituitary adenomas, invasive adenomas and adenocarcinomas in dogs: 33 cases (1988-2006). Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2010;24:160-165.
- Queiroga FL, Perez-Alenza D, Silvan G, et al. Serum and intratumoural GH and IGF-I concentrations: prognostic factors in the outcome of canine mammary cancer. Research in Veterinary Science 2010;89:396-403.
- Trapani F, Del Basso De Caro ML, Insabato L, et al. Type II muscle fibers atrophy associated with silent corticotroph adenoma in a dog. Folia histochemica et Cytobiologica 2010;48:403-406.
- van Rijn SJ, Grinwis GC, Penning LC, et al. Expression of Ki-67, PCNA, and p27kip1 in canine pituitary corticotroph adenomas. Domestic Animal Endocrinology 2010;38:244-252.
- Castillo VA, Gallelli MF. Corticotroph adenoma in the dog: Pathogenesis and new therapeutic possibilities. Research in Veterinary Science. 2010; 88:26-32.