Listed below are 31 research papers written in 2010 that deal with a variety of adrenal gland issues of clinical importance in dogs.
These range from the investigations of hypoadrenocorticism (1, 14-16, 19, 29) to typical (3, 5, 8-10, 13, 17, 20, 24, 26, 30) and atypical (4, 6) hyperadrenocorticism; from diagnostic tests for Cushing's syndrome (17, 30) to studies of ultrasonography for evaluation and differentiation of adrenal disease (5, 28); and from trilostane (3,8, 9, 24) to studies of the efficacy of transsphenoidal surgery as treatment for Cushing's disease (13.
In addition, other studies include the investigation of urine and plasma catecholamines in diagnoses of canine pheochromocytoma (7, 11, 18, 23) to a review of canine chemodectoma (22); and from studies of the endocrine hypertension (19, 25) to reports on the risks of human estrogen sprays to pets through contact with treated skin (28).
- Adissu HA, Hamel-Jolette A, Foster RA. Lymphocytic adenohypophysitis and adrenalitis in a dog with adrenal and thyroid atrophy. Veterinary Pathology 2010;47:1082-1085.
- Adissu HA, Hayes G, Wood GA, et al. Cardiac myxosarcoma with adrenal adenoma and pituitary hyperplasia resembling Carney complex in a dog. Veterinary Pathology 2010;47:354-357.
- Arteaga A, Dhand NK, McCann T, et al. Monitoring the response of canine hyperadrenocorticism to trilostane treatment by assessment of acute phase protein concentrations. The Journal of Small Animal Practice 2010;51:204-209.
- Behrend EN, Kennis R. Atypical Cushing's syndrome in dogs: arguments for and against. The Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice 2010;40:285-296.
- Benchekroun G, de Fornel-Thibaud P, Rodriguez Pineiro MI, et al. Ultrasonography criteria for differentiating ACTH dependency from ACTH independency in 47 dogs with hyperadrenocorticism and equivocal adrenal asymmetry. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2010;24:1077-1085.
- Bromel C, Feldman EC, Davidson AP, et al. Serum 17-alpha-hydroxyprogesterone concentrations during the reproductive cycle in healthy dogs and dogs with hyperadrenocorticism. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2010;236:1208-1214.
- Cameron KN, Monroe WE, Panciera DL, et al. The effects of illness on urinary catecholamines and their metabolites in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2010;24:1329-1336.
- Cook AK, Bond KG. Evaluation of the use of baseline cortisol concentration as a monitoring tool for dogs receiving trilostane as a treatment for hyperadrenocorticism. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2010;237:801-805.
- Galac S, Buijtels JJ, Mol JA, et al. Effects of trilostane on the pituitary-adrenocortical and renin-aldosterone axis in dogs with pituitary-dependent hypercortisolism. Veterinary Journal 2010;183:75-80.
- Galac S, Kool MM, Naan EC, et al. Expression of the ACTH receptor, steroidogenic acute regulatory protein, and steroidogenic enzymes in canine cortisol-secreting adrenocortical tumors. Domestic Animal Endocrinology 2010;39:259-267.
- Gostelow R, Syme H. Plasma metadrenalines in canine phaeochromocytoma. The Veterinary Record 2010;166:538.
- Hanson JM, Mol JA, Meij BP. Expression of leukemia inhibitory factor and leukemia inhibitory factor receptor in the canine pituitary gland and corticotrope adenomas. Domestic Animal Endocrinology 2010;38:260-271.
- Hara Y, Teshima T, Taoda T, et al. Efficacy of transsphenoidal surgery on endocrinological status and serum chemistry parameters in dogs with Cushing's disease. The Journal of Veterinary Medical Science 2010;72:397-404.
- Hughes AM, Jokinen P, Bannasch DL, et al. Association of a dog leukocyte antigen class II haplotype with hypoadrenocorticism in Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers. Tissue Antigens 2010;75:684-690.
- Klein SC, Peterson ME. Canine hypoadrenocorticism: part I. The Canadian Veterinary Journal 2010;51:63-69.
- Klein SC, Peterson ME. Canine hypoadrenocorticism: part II. The Canadian Veterinary Journal 2010;51:179-184.
- Kooistra HS, Galac S. Recent advances in the diagnosis of Cushing's syndrome in dogs. The Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice 2010;40:259-267.
- Kook PH, Grest P, Quante S, et al. Urinary catecholamine and metadrenaline to creatinine ratios in dogs with a phaeochromocytoma. The Veterinary Record 2010;166:169-174.
- Kook PH, Grest P, Raute-Kreinsen U, et al. Addison's disease due to bilateral adrenal malignancy in a dog. The Journal of Small Animal Practice 2010;51:333-336.
- Lien YH, Hsiang TY, Huang HP. Associations among systemic blood pressure, microalbuminuria and albuminuria in dogs affected with pituitary- and adrenal-dependent hyperadrenocorticism. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica 2010;52:61.
- Mori N, Lee P, Muranaka S, et al. Predisposition for primary hyperlipidemia in Miniature Schnauzers and Shetland sheepdogs as compared to other canine breeds. Research in Veterinary Science 2010;88:394-399.
- Noszczyk-Nowak A, Nowak M, Paslawska U, et al. Cases with manifestation of chemodectoma diagnosed in dogs in Department of Internal Diseases with Horses, Dogs and Cats Clinic, Veterinary Medicine Faculty, University of Environmental and Life Sciences, Wroclaw, Poland. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica 2010;52:35.
- Quante S, Boretti FS, Kook PH, et al. Urinary catecholamine and metanephrine to creatinine ratios in dogs with hyperadrenocorticism or pheochromocytoma, and in healthy dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2010;24:1093-1097.
- Ramsey IK. Trilostane in dogs. The Veterinary clinics of North America Small Animal Practice 2010;40:269-283.
- Reusch CE, Schellenberg S, Wenger M. Endocrine hypertension in small animals. The Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice 2010;40:335-352.
- Trapani F, Del Basso De Caro ML, Insabato L, et al. Type II muscle fibers atrophy associated with silent corticotroph adenoma in a dog. Folia histochemica et Cytobiologica 2010;48:403-406.
- van Rijn SJ, Grinwis GC, Penning LC, et al. Expression of Ki-67, PCNA, and p27kip1 in canine pituitary corticotroph adenomas. Domestic Animal Endocrinology 2010;38:244-252.
- Voelker R. Estrogen spray poses risks to children, pets through contact with treated skin. Journal of the American Medical Association 2010;304:953.
- Wenger M, Mueller C, Kook PH, et al. Ultrasonographic evaluation of adrenal glands in dogs with primary hypoadrenocorticism or mimicking diseases. The Veterinary Record 2010;167:207-210.
- Zeugswetter F, Bydzovsky N, Kampner D, et al. Tailored reference limits for urine corticoid:creatinine ratio in dogs to answer distinct clinical questions. The Veterinary Record 2010;167:997-1001.
- Zimmerman KL, Panciera DL, Panciera RJ, et al. Hyperphosphatasemia and concurrent adrenal gland dysfunction in apparently healthy Scottish Terriers. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2010;237:178-186.