Listed below are 18 research papers written in 2010 that deal with a variety of topics and issues related to calcium, parathyroid or vitamin D metabolism.
These range from the nutritional secondary hyperparathyroidism (2, 10) to calcium and phosphorus homeostasis in chronic kidney disease (1, 13) and in the whelping bitch (9); from studies of the feline calcium-sensing receptor (6) to investigations of feline tooth resorptive lesions and vitamin D3 status (7); and from studies of ionized calcium assays (15) to rapid parathyroid hormone assays (8).
Other papers discuss clinical issue ranging from primary hyperparathyroidism (14) to hypercalcemia of malignancy (5, 12, 16, 17); and from the hypercalcemia associated with Heterobilharzia and Leishmaniasis infections (3,4) to treatment of idiopathic hypercalcemia in cats with oral alendronate (18).
- Cortadellas O, Fernandez del Palacio MJ, Talavera J, et al. Calcium and phosphorus homeostasis in dogs with spontaneous chronic kidney disease at different stages of severity. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2010;24:73-79.
- Dimopoulou M, Kirpensteijn J, Nielsen DH, et al. Nutritional secondary hyperparathyroidism in two cats: evaluation of bone mineral density with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry and computed tomography. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology 2010;23:56-61.
- Fabrick C, Bugbee A, Fosgate G. Clinical features and outcome of Heterobilharzia americana infection in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2010;24:140-144.
- Freeman KS, Miller MD, Breitschwerdt EB, et al. Leishmaniasis in a dog native to Colorado. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2010;237:1288-1291.
- Gajanayake I, Priestnall SL, Benigni L, et al. Paraneoplastic hypercalcemia in a dog with benign renal angiomyxoma. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 2010;22:775-780.
- Gal A, Ridge TK, Graves TK. Cloning and sequencing of the calcium-sensing receptor from the feline parathyroid gland. Domestic Animal Endocrinology 2010;38:57-61.
- Girard N, Servet E, Hennet P, et al. Tooth resorption and vitamin D3 status in cats fed premium dry diets. Journal of Veterinary Dentistry 2010;27:142-147.
- Ham K, Greenfield CL, Barger A, et al. Validation of a rapid parathyroid hormone assay and intraoperative measurement of parathyroid hormone in dogs with benign naturally occurring primary hyperparathyroidism. Veterinary Surgery 2009;38:122-132.
- Hollinshead FK, Hanlon DW, Gilbert RO, et al. Calcium, parathyroid hormone, oxytocin and pH profiles in the whelping bitch. Theriogenology 2010;73:1276-1283.
- Krook L, Whalen JP. Nutritional secondary hyperparathyroidism in the animal kingdom: report of two cases. Clinical Imaging 2010;34:458-461.
- Liles SR, Linder KE, Cain B, et al. Ultrasonography of histologically normal parathyroid glands and thyroid lobules in normocalcemic dogs. Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound 2010;51:447-452.
- Neihaus SA, Winter JE, Goring RL, et al. Primary clitoral adenocarcinoma with secondary hypercalcemia of malignancy in a dog. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association 2010;46:193-196.
- Pusoonthornthum R, Pusoonthornthum P, Krishnamra N. Calcium-phosphorus homeostasis and changes in parathyroid hormone secretion in cats with various stages of spontaneous chronic renal failure. Comparative Clinical Pathology 2010;19:287-293.
- Sakals SA, Gillick MS, Kerr ME, et al. Diagnosing the etiology of hypercalcemia in a dog: a case of primary hyperparathyroidism. Veterinary Pathology 2010;47:579-581.
- Schenck PA, Chew DJ. Prediction of serum ionized calcium concentration by serum total calcium measurement in cats. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research 2010;74:209-213.
- Schoen K, Block G, Newell SM, et al. Hypercalcemia of malignancy in a cat with bronchogenic adenocarcinoma. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association 2010;46:265-267.
- Seelig DM, Perry JA, Avery AC, et al. Monoclonal gammopathy without hyperglobulinemia in 2 dogs with IgA secretory neoplasms. Veterinary Clinical Pathology 2010;39:447-453.
- Whitney JL, Barrs VR, Wilkinson MR, et al. Use of bisphosphonates to treat severe idiopathic hypercalcaemia in a young Ragdoll cat. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery 2011;13:129-134.