We are going to start off with papers that deal with the theme of Diabetes mellitus and its diagnosis and treatment in dogs and cats.
Listed below are 29 research papers written in 2010 that deal with a variety of diabetic topics and issues.
These range from the use of continuous glucose monitoring systems (1, 15, 22) to home glucose monitoring (5, 28); from insulin autoantibodies (4, 18) to insulin resistance (11, 25, 26); from new insulin analogues (8, 10, 24) to diabetic cataracts (12, 21); and from the causes of secondary diabetes (2, 6, 13, 14, 16) to diabetic remission (29).
2010 Papers on Canine and Feline Diabetes Mellitus:
- Affenzeller N, Benesch T, Thalhammer JG, et al. A pilot study to evaluate a novel subcutaneous continuous glucose monitoring system in healthy Beagle dogs. Veterinary Journal 2010;184:105-110.
- Blois SL, Dickie EL, Kruth SA, et al. Multiple endocrine diseases in cats: 15 cases (1997-2008). Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery 2010;12:637-642.
- Claus MA, Silverstein DC, Shofer FS, et al. Comparison of regular insulin infusion doses in critically ill diabetic cats: 29 cases (1999-2007). Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care 2010;20:509-517.
- Davison LJ, Herrtage ME, Catchpole B. Autoantibodies to recombinant canine proinsulin in canine diabetic patients. Research in Veterinary Science 2010.
- Dobromylskyj MJ, Sparkes AH. Assessing portable blood glucose meters for clinical use in cats in the United Kingdom. The Veterinary Record 2010;167:438-442.
- Fall T, Hedhammar A, Wallberg A, et al. Diabetes mellitus in elkhounds is associated with diestrus and pregnancy. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2010;24:1322-1328.
- Furrer D, Kaufmann K, Reusch CE, et al. Amylin reduces plasma glucagon concentration in cats. Veterinary Journal 2010;184:236-240.
- Gilor C, Graves TK. Synthetic insulin analogs and their use in dogs and cats. The Veterinary Clinics of North America Small Animal Practice 2010;40:297-307.
- Gilor C, Graves TK, Lascelles BD, et al. The effects of body weight, body condition score, sex, and age on serum fructosamine concentrations in clinically healthy cats. Veterinary Clinical Pathology 2010;39:322-328.
- Gilor C, Ridge TK, Attermeier KJ, et al. Pharmacodynamics of insulin detemir and insulin glargine assessed by an isoglycemic clamp method in healthy cats. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2010;24:870-874.
- Hess RS. Insulin resistance in dogs. The Veterinary Clinics of North America Small Animal Practice 2010;40:309-316.
- Kador PF, Webb TR, Bras D, et al. Topical KINOSTAT ameliorates the clinical development and progression of cataracts in dogs with diabetes mellitus. Veterinary Ophthalmology 2010;13:363-368.
- McLauchlan G, Knottenbelt C, Augusto M, et al. Retrospective evaluation of the effect of trilostane on insulin requirement and fructosamine concentration in eight diabetic dogs with hyperadrenocorticism. The Journal of Small Animal Practice 2010;51:642-648.
- Meij BP, Auriemma E, Grinwis G, et al. Successful treatment of acromegaly in a diabetic cat with transsphenoidal hypophysectomy. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery 2010;12:406-410.
- Moretti S, Tschuor F, Osto M, et al. Evaluation of a novel real-time continuous glucose-monitoring system for use in cats. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2010;24:120-126.
- Niessen SJ. Feline acromegaly: an essential differential diagnosis for the difficult diabetic. Journal of feline medicine and surgery 2010;12:15-23.
- Niessen SJ, Powney S, Guitian J, et al. Evaluation of a quality-of-life tool for cats with diabetes mellitus. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2010;24:1098-1105.
- Nishii N, Takasu M, Kojima M, et al. Presence of anti-insulin natural autoantibodies in healthy cats and its interference with immunoassay for serum insulin concentrations. Domestic Animal Endocrinology 2010;38:138-145.
- Nishii N, Yamasaki M, Takasu M, et al. Plasma leptin concentration in dogs with diabetes mellitus. The Journal of Veterinary Medical Science 2010;72:809-811.
- O'Brien MA. Diabetic emergencies in small animals. The Veterinary Clinics of North America Small Animal Practice 2010;40:317-333.
- Oliver JA, Clark L, Corletto F, et al. A comparison of anesthetic complications between diabetic and nondiabetic dogs undergoing phacoemulsification cataract surgery: a retrospective study. Veterinary Ophthalmology 2010;13:244-250.
- Reineke EL, Fletcher DJ, King LG, et al. Accuracy of a continuous glucose monitoring system in dogs and cats with diabetic ketoacidosis. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care 2010;20:303-312.
- Rucinsky R, Cook A, Haley S, et al. AAHA diabetes management guidelines. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association 2010;46:215-224.
- Sako T, Mori A, Lee P, et al. Time-action profiles of insulin detemir in normal and diabetic dogs
- Scott-Moncrieff JC. Insulin resistance in cats. The Veterinary Clinics of North America Small Animal Practice 2010;40:241-257.
- Verkest KR, Fleeman LM, Rand JS, et al. Basal measures of insulin sensitivity and insulin secretion and simplified glucose tolerance tests in dogs. Domestic Animal Endocrinology 2010;39:194-204.
- Zeugswetter F, Handl S, Iben C, et al. Efficacy of plasma beta-hydroxybutyrate concentration as a marker for diabetes mellitus in acutely sick cats. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery 2010;12:300-305.
- Zeugswetter FK, Rebuzzi L, Karlovits S. Alternative sampling site for blood glucose testing in cats: giving the ears a rest. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery 2010;12:710-713.
- Zini E, Hafner M, Osto M, et al. Predictors of clinical remission in cats with diabetes mellitus. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2010;24:1314-1321.